Toddler Chores

So it turns out that I’m not one of those mom’s that meticulously documents their child’s life. I missed writing down so many first year milestones for Emmett, that there is no hope for child number 2. 


So I've decided to try blogging. Because I’ve started a few in my life and have never kept up with them, so it seems like a promising investment….



Let’s be honest this is 100% for me. I can’t remember anything that’s happened in the past year and what I have written down in journals I can’t find. 



So let’s start with a quick recap on Emmett’s first 18 months…


Nevermind, that’s exactly what will stop me from actually writing this blog. 


Let’s stay focused in the present! 


So, it’s May 2020, which means that we’ve been in quarantine for the last 2 ½ months. 

He has taken these months to really hone in on his domestic skills.


Emmett, has come a long way with the vacuum cleaner. He used to be terrified of it, and now he takes me to the closet door 5 times a day to see if we can get it out. 


He used to just follow us around while we vacuumed, and found that very entertaining. But he has leveled up. 

He now insists on vacuuming himself. And if it isn’t his turn to vacuum, he loses his mind. 


So, what the heck, if he wants to vacuum the house, who am I to stop him?



Another domestic skill Emmett has picked up… cooking.


If I am doing anything, ANYTHING in the kitchen that looks remotely like cooking, Emmett drags over a dining room chair and protests until I help him up to the counter. 


He’s been quite helpful, sometimes a little too helpful by adding ingredients that aren’t called for into the bowl. 


Lately he has taken his role to another level and has decided that he’s more of a supervisor who taste tests the food. He’s has eaten raw onions, mushrooms, flour, dill, handfuls of rosemary, and of course some chocolate chips. 




The nice part about this whole cooking obsession is that it’s turned our dinner prep into a family activity. It is no longer a one person job. All three of us get to work, make a huge mess and then of course, like I said earlier, Emmett vacuums it up. Win win!


Besides Emmett’s new domestic skills, he continues to keep up with Dad out in the yard. Actually, I would say that Emmett is the real driver of production out in the yard. Does he want to play with the cool car we got him? No. The climber? No? 

He will hand you a shovel or a rake, direct you to a place to work and then once you get started, we comes alongside you and makes sure you are keeping up. 



Unfortunately for Emmett, I don’t know anything about yard work, so if it’s ever just us out there, I have to pretend like I’m digging and move dirt back and forth to satisfy him. 


Besides taking care of the house and the yard, Emmett is very concerned about electricity. Everything must be “on”. He know’s the sign for “on” and demands it for anything that looks remotely like a light. When we go fo a walk he points out every single house light and lamp post and insist “on” “on”. 

When we read books and he sees lights he says “on”. 

I thought that he was enjoying the story of David and Goliath, but then I found out that he thought the spears were lights and wanted them “on”. 



Words:

-Mom mom (mommy)

-Dah (dad)

-Nana (grandma)

- duck

- awooooo (dog)

-pfhhhh (airplane, or anything with a motor)

- dig (to put us to work outside)


Comments